01 December 2012
Flybe Announces Major Brand Re-positioning With 'making Flying Better'
Flybe, Europe’s largest regional airline and the UK’s Number One domestic carrier, has today announced a significant brand and product repositioning under the strapline ‘Making flying better’ that will bring together major new initiatives throughout 2012 to positively differentiate it from some of the negative perceptions of low fare travel.
Andrew Strong, Flybe UK MD explains: “We have listened to what our customers and the wider market are telling the industry. ‘Making flying better’ is Flybe’s response and is a long term commitment and fundamental review of our product and brand positioning in the market.”
Flybe’s ‘Making flying better’ philosophy has three key objectives:
- Increasing our flight frequency and connections to offer greater choice and flexibility.
- Transparency pricing and booking processes to make it easier for our customers to understand.
- To reduce the hassle of air travel through UK airports.
A number of recent initiatives by Flybe that are very much part of the ‘Making flying better’ concept, are already proving a success with passengers, particularly the arrival of the new Embraer 175 jet aircraft that are now flying across the network; and the launch of Flybe’s innovative Manchester hub that offers extra regional connections for the UK traveller.
At the heart of ‘Making flying better’ is a fair, open and transparent approach to sales and service policies. Included amongst many of the new product initiatives to be rolled out during 2012 are the following that have been introduced today
- No charges for customers paying by debit card
- Credit card customers being charged on a per booking basis regardless of the number of passengers in the booking
- Creation of three new ticket types:
- 1. Just Fly: this is Flybe’s lowest fare ticket that has no debit card charges, 10kg hand baggage allowance and seat selection at check in.
- 2. Get More: A brand new ticket which, in addition to the free use of cards and 10kg hand bag allowance, also includes - in one upfront inclusive price - a free standard sized hold bag, free advance seat selection at the time of booking, a changeable ticket (which may incur a fare upgrade) plus a free SMS text message detailing the booking information. Prices for this ticket start at under £50.
- 3. Plus: Flybe has retained its top end product with a ticket that includes all the flexibility and comfort a short haul business traveller needs, including Executive Lounge access, a 40kg hold bag allowance and complimentary food and drink on board.
- The airline has also launched a new website and new-look advertising creative, including a soon-to-be aired series of TV commercials all featuring Flybe’s own pilots and cabin crew.
Hot on the heels of this initial launch will see Flybe offering its customers smart phone enabled platforms and Apps that will allow booking and check in for travellers on the move.
The airline then plans for a Flybe first with summer trials of inflight TV programming and entertainment available free of charge for its passengers through onboard wi-fi. Additional product and service enhancements are due to follow throughout the year.
In further commenting on Flybe’s new philosophy, Mr Strong adds: “In better serving our passengers and making the flying experience better for them, I want Flybe to be seen as fair and our pricing to be transparent. We have listened to what our passengers have told us about the entire process of travel – the things they enjoy and the things they would like changed, from booking through to check-in and then to the flight itself. We know from our customers that they rank the Flybe experience highly but also that their expectations have, quite understandably, changed over the years. By introducing service improvements like our Get More product, the removal of debit card charges and the utilisation of more technology throughout the journey, we hope our passengers will appreciate that Flybe is raising its game once again.
“Making flying better’ is more than a slogan. It is a promise to our passengers that we will make flying better, more straightforward and fair and, as always, with a quality service-led approach.“