What is a cookie?
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information, which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device by websites that you visit. They can improve your experience of using a website, for example, by remembering your preference settings and tracking your use of a website so that it can be improved to meet your needs.
Websites must get consent to send cookies to your computer or mobile device, unless the cookies are strictly necessary to provide services to you.
You can set your cookie preferences when you arrive at our website, or change them at any time as shown in more detail below in the section “Changing your cookie settings”.
Unless the cookie is a strictly necessary cookie, you can withdraw your consent to our cookies at any time even if you have previously consented. Although, please do remember that if you do not consent to our functionality cookies, parts of our website will not work (for example, the EUCookie is used to determine currency most closely aligned with your physical location (whilst still letting you choose the currency you wish to pay in), so if this is not switched on you may not be able to see that currency different currencies) other sites may have videos that are embedded using a functionality cookie, without which you can’t watch the video.
What do they do?
We use the following types of cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. These are cookies that allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are cookies used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting/marketing cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
The list of cookies here explains what cookies we use on our website, why we use them, and whether they are strictly necessary or another type of cookie, e.g. "functionality" or "analytical/performance" cookies (as described above).
We also state in the table whether a cookie is a first party cookie or a third party cookie: whether a cookie is 'first' or 'third' party refers to the domain placing the cookie:
- First party cookies are those set by a website that is being visited by the user at the time (e.g. cookies placed by www.flybe.com); and
- Third party cookies are cookies that are set by a domain other than that Flybe.com, for example, Google Analytics. If a user visits our website and another entity sets a cookie through our website, this would be a third party cookie.
What is a "persistent" or "session" cookie? The difference is as follows:
- Persistent cookies: these cookies remain on a user’s device for the period of time specified in the cookie. They are activated each time that the user visits the Web site that created that particular cookie.
- Session cookies: these cookies allow website or app operators to link the actions of a user during a browser session. A browser session starts when a user opens the browser window and finishes when they close the browser window. Session cookies are created temporarily. Once you close the browser, all session cookies are deleted.
Changing your cookie settings
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser, which allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Please note that internet browsers allow you to change your cookie settings. These settings are usually found in the 'options' or 'preferences' menu of your internet browser. In order to understand these settings, the following links may be helpful. Otherwise you should use the 'Help' option in your internet browser for more details.
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari
Information on cookies on flybe.com