ID requirements

Photographic identification

You must present an identification document to board a Flybe aircraft. All identification documents must meet our requirements and those of the relevant immigration authorities.  All forms of photo identification must be in good condition. Additionally, we are unable to accept photocopies of photo identification. If you have lost or damaged your passport you may need to consider applying for an Emergency Travel Document; for more information click here.

International travel

All passengers on international flights must be in possession of a valid passport and, where required, a valid visa. The name on the identification document must match the passenger name exactly.  Citizens of the European Union, European Economic Area and Switzerland may travel within Europe on presentation of their valid National Identity Card, passport card.

Please see below the list of EU & EEA countries:

EU Countries – Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

The European Economic Area (EEA) includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Children will require their own valid passport for travel abroad.

It is the passenger’s responsibility to ensure they are in possession of an electronic travel authorisation if required (e.g. ESTA, ETA) for onward travel to a destination beyond the EU and where a Visa Waiver Programme exists. We strongly advise that a copy of this is carried by the passenger as evidence that authorisation has been obtained.


Republic of Ireland travel

British and Irish citizens must have a form of photographic ID which proves their nationality/citizenship for immigration purposes e.g. a valid passport or full/provisional photographic driving licence. Irish public service cards are not a valid form of identification.

British and Irish citizens under the age of 18 do not need a passport when travelling with a parent or guardian but it is highly recommended that they have one. Without a passport, the parent/guardian must be able to prove the relationship with the child, showing birth certificate, marriage certificate etc.

A child of any other nationality must hold a passport which is covered for the period of intended stay.


Domestic travel

All passengers over 16 years old on domestic flights must provide a suitable official photographic document to prove their identity before travel, preferably one that provides your date of birth. The name on the identification document must match the passenger name exactly.  Examples of suitable documents are:

  • A valid passport
  • An expired passport (up to two years after expiry)
  • Photographic driving licence (Full or Provisional are accepted)
  • Photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
  • Armed forces identity card
  • Police warrant card/badge
  • CitizenCard
  • Airport or crew security pass

Children and domestic travel

Children under the age of 16 do not need to show ID on domestic routes. The adult they are travelling with can vouch for the infant's/child's identification, providing the relevant photo ID is shown (by the adult). On International routes a passport will be required.

If the child is traveling unaccompanied and aged between 12-16 years, they will be required to produce photographic ID.

Flybe is legally responsible for ensuring children over the age of one-year-364-days do not travel on the lap of another passenger. When travelling with an infant on a domestic route, therefore, please ensure you bring either a birth certificate or passport to prove date of birth. On International routes a passport will be required.

Spanish children under 18 years

Children under 18 travelling without their parents/legal guardians, and with an ID card, must have a form of written authorisation to travel from their parents.

Children must collect the form from their local police station and present it with their ID card at check-in and passport control. Children without this form will be refused travel by passport control.
Children travelling with a valid passport do not require a consent form as a passport acts as parental authority.

The form is required for both international and domestic flights.

Children travelling on Flybe international flights must have either a valid ID card or a passport along with all other necessary documents.

French children under 18 years

French children under 18, travelling to the UK can travel with their passport or their Identity Card.

The child - whether accompanied or not - can travel abroad with either:

  • A valid National Identity Card, only for E.U. countries, the Schengen Area and Switzerland or
  • A valid passport

On 15th January 2017 a new regulation came into force for minors of French citizenship traveling out of France. This regulation imposes minors (below 18 years old) travelling unaccompanied to present an “autorisation de sortie de territoire” (authorization to exit the country) at the exit border controls in France. The original form of the authorization shall be presented together with the identity document of the minors as well as a copy of identity document of the parent who signed the form.

This obligation is based on the french decree : décret n° 2016-1483 du 2 novembre 2016

Please see below the communication published by the French authorities. A link to the form for the authorisation can be found here:

Airlines and travel agencies are invited to inform their passengers of this new requirement. There is however no obligation created on the air carriers to verify the authorization before check-in. The controls will be done directly at the exit border controls at French airports

Portuguese children under 18 years

Portuguese nationals and alien residents under 18 years leaving or re-entering Portugal unaccompanied by their father, mother or legal guardian need a travel authorisation. This travel authorisation must be signed by the father, mother or legal guardian; and the signature is notarised if the father, mother or legal guardian reside in Portugal; or the signature is authenticated by a Portuguese embassy or consulate in the country where the father, mother or legal guardian reside.

This travel authorisation is also required when minors that are accompanied by a person other than their father, mother or legal guardian. In such cases the travel authorisation must also clearly show the name of the accompanying person.
Foreign minors under 18 years of age and travelling alone may be refused entry if they do not have anyone in Portugal taking responsibility for their stay.

Dutch minors travelling alone or with one adult

For each minor travelling abroad with a single parent or another adult or adults, a consent form must be completed. A minor is considered to be a young person under 18 years of age.  If you need to complete a consent form you can download it via the link: Consent letter for minors travelling abroad

Italian minors travelling without their parents

If a child under 14yrs of age, holding an Italian passport or identity card, needs to travel with a third party (airline or any other person who is not the child's natural parent), both parents must provide the third party with a declaration whereby they give written mutual consent to do so issued by this Notary Department. The consent form must indicate full personal details of the person or persons taking charge of the child when travelling abroad and/or the name of the airline/s. The declaration has a maximum validity of 6 months, and it is only valid for one trip (outbound and return) with a specific destination. This declaration of consent does not incur any consular fee.

Please use this form here to provide your consent to other parties travelling with your child.

The completed form must be presented in person to the Notary Department of the Consulate General by at least one of the parents and must also be accompanied by both their individual identification documents showing photos and signatures (passport or ID Card) and the passport of the minor, during normal office hours: Monday-Tuesday and Thursday from 9.00am until 12.00 noon. The other parent, who must be an Italian or EU citizen or a non-EU national residing in Italy, is not required to come to the Consulate and may complete and sign the above form, attach a copy of his/her identity document and give it to the parent who will attend this Office.

If one of the parents is NOT a citizen of an EU member state or is not a non-EU national residing in Italy, then his/her presence is required at the Notary Department where he/she will need to sign the consent form in person.

Please note that for the above service no appointment is necessary. More information can be found here.