What is my cabin baggage allowance?
All Flybe customers travelling on Flybe, Stobart Air, Blue Islands and Eastern Airways operated services are entitled to carry:
- One standard cabin bag measuring no more than 55 x 35 x 20cm including wheels and handles
- One small personal item such as a handbag or laptop bag/briefcase that can fit under the seat in front of you.
The combined weight of your cabin baggage and smaller personal item must not exceed 10KG.
Please note: For safety reasons, all cabin baggage must comply with our cabin baggage sizing policy in order to be stowed safely and securely.
Your cabin bag will be subject to compliance checks. If your cabin bag is too big, you will not be able to take it into the aircraft cabin. Your bag will be transferred to the aircraft hold and a £50 charge payable by card will be applied. View full details of our charges and fees.
About the Flybe Cabin Baggage Policy
We’ve developed our cabin baggage policy with you in mind, giving you:
- More space on board
- Closer proximity and better access to your hand baggage during your flight
- Greater likelihood of having your hand luggage with you in the cabin
- A speedier boarding process and on-time departures
We appreciate your cooperation and hope that you understand that by complying with our cabin baggage policy you are helping us to ensure the safety, comfort and convenience of all passengers on board, whilst reducing the risk of a potential delay to your flight.
For further information please see the Department for Transport website.
UK Department for Transport Advice for Carrying Electronic Devices
The UK Department for Transport has extended its advice regarding the carriage of electronic devices on board aircraft to now include ‘other unspecified routes into and out of the UK’. This follows the changes widely reported last week concerning the carriage of electronic devices by passengers flying to the United States only.
Flybe passengers are therefore advised to make sure that any electronic devices in their hand luggage are fully charged before they travel so that they are able to be powered up. Otherwise there is the possibility they will not be allowed to take the device onto the aircraft.
Please note that, as with other items of hand luggage confiscated by airport authorities for safety and security reasons, neither airports nor airlines have the facility to store such items.
The full aviation security update on the Gov.UK website can be found on the following link: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/aviation-security-update
Cabin Bag Questions
Will the size of my bag be checked?
Baggage sizers are provided at the check-in to ensure that your cabin bag is within your permitted allowance. Should your cabin bag exceed these dimensions, it will be required to be placed in the hold and standard airport hold baggage charges will apply. Please note: your cabin baggage may be subject to random compliance checks. A £50 charge will be levied for any oversized bag checked in at the departure gate. Should your cabin bag exceed the permitted weight allowance, it will be placed in the hold and standard airport hold luggage charges will apply. Where allowances are exceeded, excess baggage charges may apply, full details of which can be found here.
What if I’m carrying any sharp items?
Any cabin baggage containing sharp items must be checked into the aircraft hold. Please check your cabin bag prior to travel to ensure no charge is levied.
What other items are restricted from my cabin bag?
For full details on restricted items, follow this link.
Flybe Smart Bag Restrictions*
In line with IATA guidelines, there will be restrictions on smart bags as checked-in or carry-on baggage on all Flybe flights as follows:
For cabin baggage:
- Smart bags are allowed in the cabin if the battery is removed by the passenger and the bag is within the cabin baggage size and weight limits.
- If the battery is not removable, the smart bag can’t be carried on a Flybe flight.
For checked baggage:
- Smart bags are allowed in checked baggage if the battery is removed and carried in the cabin with terminals protected.
- If the smart bag exceeds the cabin baggage size/weight limitations for the route, and the battery is not removable, then the smart bag can’t be carried on a Flybe flight.
*This restriction still applies to Flybe flights even if you’re connecting to/from an airline that accepts them.
What is a smart bag?
According to the International Air Transport Association (IATA), a smart bag may include features such as:
- Lithium ion battery and motor allowing it to be used as a personal transportation device, either as a stand-up scooter or sit-on vehicle. These devices do not meet the criteria of a mobility device
- Lithium ion battery power bank that allows charging of other electronic devices such as mobile phones, tablets and laptops
- GPS tracking devices with or without GSM capability
- Bluetooth, RFID and Wi-Fi capability
- Electronic baggage tags
- Electronic lock(s)
- Lithium ion battery, motor and tracking device (GPS) allowing the bag to self-propel and “follow” the owner